I don't know why I've been percolating up memories of old 50's shows lately, but after writing the Ozzie & Harriet post a few days ago I was thinking about the "You Bet Your Life Show" with Groucho Marx. There was supposedly an infamous episode, that I didn't see, that went something like the following:
Groucho: "Well hello there sir, and what is your name?"
Guest: "Haylo Meester Groucho. My name ees Gonsalez Gonsalez."
Groucho: "And where are you from Mr. Gonsalez?"
Guest: "I am from Guadalooopay Mayheeco, Meester Groucho."
Groucho: "Mayheeco, huh? Is that anywhere near Mexico?"
Guest: "Oh, si, Meester Groucho."
Groucho: "Are you married, have any kids?"
Guest: "Oh, si, Meester Groucho. I am hapeely married and have 15 woonderful cheeldrens."
Groucho (eyebrows raised): "Fifteen children? How do you explain so many children Mr. Gonsalez?"
Guest: "Well, Meester Groucho, I luff my wife Rosalita very mooch."
Groucho (taking cigar from his mouth): "Well, I love my cigar too…but I take it out once in a while."
I have heard from many sources that this actually got him kicked off the air…but, that's probably myth since tv was so heavily edited back then. In any case, those of you of my vintage might be able to imagining him doing a little skit like that, raising his eyebrows, making those facial expressions, etc.
Even though I was only a kid I loved his sense of humor. Some famous Groucho quotes:
- A man's only as old as the woman he feels.
- Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife.
- From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend on reading it.
- I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
- I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
- I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.
- I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
- I remember the first time I had sex - I kept the receipt.
- Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?
- One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I don't know.
- Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other 999 follow women.
My Home Page