Thursday, June 19, 2008

Have You Seen This Man?



No...that is not a sketch from America's Most Wanted...it is supposed to be me. Hah...it's a self-portrait. Hey, at least it looks human...but it doesn't look like me except for the shape of the hair and the forehead wrinkles...and, according to my wife, the piercing eyes.

I've always sucked at drawing so I decided to try and learn. I picked up this really cool book entitled Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards. She's an artist with a PhD in psychology and has studied why many people have so much difficulty with drawing. The book contains a set of exercises designed to let the brain's right hemisphere dominate and help one to learn how to draw. Before teaching the techniques she asks students to do a self-portrait and a sketch of their hand. These came out better than I ever imagined. The thumb actually looks like mine.



Hmm...I wonder if she'll teach us how to illustrate gray hair with a black pencil?


Anyway...please excuse me while I go round up some naked female models to practice on :-)




Badaboom Badabing...

3 comments:

kenju said...

Maybe your wife will agree to pose for you??? Otherwise, I'll tell!

Hale McKay said...

Bring on the models!!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

"naked female models"?? Yeah, I'd say: Badaboom!!