Friday, June 08, 2007

Maybe Worth a Shot...

This is not my usual type of post but, what the hell, maybe it'll help.

I've been working on this novel for the last several years. Too many years! It's just a personal little project to help myself explore whether I've got even a smidgen of creativity mixed in with all the technical skills I've accumulated over the decades. I only half care if it ever gets published.

In the past, I've sometimes let working on the book go by the wayside for up to six months before I get back to it. I really want to finish it. I'm about halfway, maybe a little more, finished at this point. So, I've set myself a goal to finish the first draft by the end of this month. Ambitious? Yes. Make that a friggin' yes! Reaching the goal will require me to complete 20-30 chapters, meaning I'll need to write an average of 1+ per day (aren't you awed by my mathematical prowess), roughly. My chapters average 3-5 pages, so they're more like scenes, and I've got about a dozen of them kind of identified already. I think 150 pages may be doable (is 'doable' even a word?)...if I can stay focused. Believe me, staying focused is the big problem.

Anyway, I got the idea that if I posted about this maybe some of you will brow beat me inquire about my progress and it might help me to stick to it. Figured it might be worth a shot.

Now, it's off the blogging and back to making stuff up...

3 comments:

kenju said...

Why don't you post a chapter a day on the blog and we could critique it. That would either keep you writing or put it to bed forever...
LOL

Anonymous said...

Envious... keep it up!

Badabing said...

Judy...I thought about doing that but opted not to...at least for the time being. I think what I am going to do is to maybe post my progress every day or so.

crazy just like me...thanks for the encouragement.